A Ukrainian military draft official has revealed that the country might call up all male citizens under 60 to help combat Russia’s increasing aggression.
Speaking to Ukraine’s TSN news outlet, head of Kyiv’s Recruitment and Social Support Center Colonel Yuri Maksimov said the plan is part of Kyiv’s mobilization efforts in response to Moscow’s recruitment of up to 300,000 more conscripts for the invasion.
He stressed that while Ukraine has already reached the highest stage of its mobilization, its military needs more men to boost its capabilities.
“While we are at war, we must ensure that we have personnel not only for defense but also for the offensive to liberate our territories,” Maksimov told the outlet.
Draft papers are soon expected to be served to men who pass the age requirement and are liable for military service.
Maksimov reminded citizens that anyone attempting to dodge the summons could face punishment of up to five years in prison.
Losing 100 Soldiers Per Day
In June, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky revealed that between 60 and 100 Ukrainian soldiers are dying on the battlefield every day due to Russian shelling.
He further disclosed that an average of 500 military personnel are wounded while defending critical infrastructure.
As of August 22, nearly 9,000 Ukrainian troops had been killed since Moscow launched its “special military operation” on February 24.
On the other hand, Russia reportedly continues to suffer major blows to its offensive, losing more than 63,000 soldiers since the invasion began.
It has also lost more than $5 billion in military equipment due to Ukraine’s stiff resistance.