Five Czech soldiers have been injured in an attack in Afghanistan only two months after three others were killed, the Czech defence ministry said on Thursday, October 18.
“The attack on the Czech patrol occurred on Wednesday around 1220 GMT near the Bagram base in the Parwan province,” the ministry said in a statement.
The five soldiers were injured when a civilian vehicle loaded with explosives was blown up near an armored vehicle which then rolled over, it added.
One soldier with serious injuries underwent surgery and his life is no longer in danger.
Another with light injuries remained in hospital while the other three were released, the ministry said.
There are 281 Czech troops deployed to the Resolute Support mission.
On August 5, three Czech soldiers were killed in a suicide bombing while on patrol in the eastern Parwan province alongside a U.S. soldier and two Afghan soldiers, who were wounded. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.
It was the deadliest assault on NATO soldiers in many months.
The Lidove noviny broadsheet daily reported on Wednesday that Czech special forces had killed one of the August attackers and captured another, while Czech TV reported “far more” had been killed and captured.
Thirteen Czech soldiers have been killed in NATO missions in Afghanistan.
With reporting from AFP