Saudi Arabia on Friday said it had successfully intercepted a missile fired by Houthi rebels near the border with Yemen.
Citing a statement from the Saudi-led coalition against the rebel group, state-owned Al Ekhbariya television said Saudi defence forces intercepted a missile near Najran along the southern border region.
“This hostile act by the Iran-backed Huthis proves the Iranian regime remains implicated in supporting the armed Houthis,” the coalition said in a statement run on state broadcaster SPA.
The Houthis had claimed earlier via their Al Masirah TV network that they successfully fired a short-range Qaher-2M ballistic missile “at a military target” in Saudi Arabia.
Last month, Saudi Arabia said it shot down a ballistic missile fired by the Houthis that targeted the official residence of King Salman in the capital.
The Saudi-led alliance intervened in Yemen’s domestic conflict in March 2015 after the Houthis captured the capital Sanaa and other parts of the country. The World Health Organization estimates that more than 8,750 people have been killed since Riyadh began its aerial campaign.