North Korea has agreed to halt nuclear and ballistic missile tests during talks with the United States, the South Korean presidency said on Tuesday.
“The North expressed its willingness to hold a heartfelt dialogue with the United States on the issues of denuclearization and normalizing relations with the United States,” South Korean President Moon Jae-in’s office said in a statement.
“It made it clear that while dialogue is continuing, it will not attempt any strategic provocations, such as nuclear and ballistic missile tests.”
Furthermore, North Korea said it had no reason to hold nuclear weapons if it has security guarantees and threats against the country are resolved, the Associated Press reported presidential national security director Chung Eui-yong as saying.
A South Korean delegation led by Chung met North Korean leader Kim Jong-un this week during a two-day visit to Pyongyang. Since taking office last year, Moon has pushed for a political solution to tensions on the Korean peninsula despite strong rhetoric from the Trump administration in Washington.
The delegations agreed to open a communications hotline between Kim and Moon and the two will meet at a border summit in April, the president’s office said.