Rheinmetall to Open New Air Defense Facility in Ukraine

Rheinmetall is planning to establish a new joint venture with Ukraine in the field of air defense.

CEO Armin Papperger announced the update during the company’s annual general meeting, adding that the site will likely begin production in one or two years.

The site will also serve as a repair base for IRIS-T SL, Skynex 30, and Gepard systems transferred from Germany, according to Militarnyi.

Establishment of the new project’s supply chains has yet to take place.

Rheinmetall in Ukraine

The defense giant has established various production programs in Ukraine to aid the country in countering Russia’s advances.

The company signed a deal with an undisclosed local arms group to build artillery munitions in February.

A majority 51 percent of the venture will be managed by Rheinmetall, with the remaining 49 percent held by the Ukrainian entity.

A 200-million euro ($213 million) armored vehicle plant was also opened in 2023 in the country’s western region.

The factory is reported to be capable of producing 400 tanks annually.

Additionally, Rheinmetall has announced plans to build a factory and maintenance hub in Lithuania and Romania focused on bolstering Kyiv’s armed forces.

Related Articles

Back to top button